'5 Shades Of Love' by Laxmikant Shukl - Book Review


On The Jacket –

Ruk-ruk ke sanse kahti hain mujhse,
Uske jane se tu kitna badal sa gya hai…
Kabhie ruk aur dekh pichhe,
Kitne apno se tera nata tut sa gya hai…”

Lakshay sees Megha at his institute scolding someone during the scout camp program and fell for her at the very first sight. Obsessed with her beauty & nature, Lakshay becomes her friend and gets to know about her painful past, a past of broken relationship and a wait of a lifetime. Still, Lakshay falls in love with her. 

5 shades of love is a journey of love & friendship, of unconditional love and eternal wait for the other person; a journey portraying emotions as well as social evils. 

Will Lakshay & Megha live together or will Megha wait for her past love to return. Will this love story have a happy ending?

’’I know your life can go on without me;
But without you, my mind stops thinking;
Without you, my lips stop speaking;
Without you, my heart stops beating;
Without you, my nights are dreamless;
Without you, my eyes stop sleeping;
Without you, my soul is incomplete.’’

Review –

Book narrates all the ups and downs of the collage life and how protagonist falls in love and touches every aspect of this phase of life, be it studies, friendship, love etc.

Book is written in very simple language as everyone can read it very easily. It starts with very slow pace as it does not make any interest in starting but as you keep reading, you start getting the real touch of each character. But this lacks somewhere in characterization. I couldn’t well with the story. I was feeling like I was reading another mushy love story. To know about story you better read the book as I don’t want to be spoiler here.

There are lots of printing and grammatical mistakes in book which spoils the flow. Publishers should edit their books properly before they go in hands of readers. If a reader is spending Rs. 175 for a book then they expect much from book. 

And It makes no sense for me why author has used Hindi poems on every second page. I Guess author should have written a book in Hindi instead of English. Where one side authors like Amish Tripathi is trying to raise the standard of Indian Literature, first time author should not spoil the trend by using Hindi and poor English in their books. And publisher also should try to maintain the trend.

My advice to the author is to use more English diction and language. There are instances in the novel which reflect that the author has been very much inspired and influenced by Bollywood movies There are many lines on every second page of such kinds of sentences where he has mingled English and Hindi words.

Verdict – 

Overall a good attempt. Nothing new. I would like to rate it 2 out of 5. If you are looking for a light read, you will enjoy it. If you are expecting much from book, it fails. It is worth reading once.


0 comments: